What is Vehicle Tracking System?
A vehicle tracking system combines the use of automatic vehicle location in individual vehicles with software that collects these fleet data for a comprehensive picture of vehicle locations. Modern vehicle tracking systems commonly use GPS or GLONASS technology for locating the vehicle, but other types of automatic vehicle location technology can also be used. Vehicle information can be viewed on electronic maps via the Internet or specialized software. Urban public transit authorities are an increasingly common user of vehicle tracking systems, particularly in large cities.
VTS can have these specific benefits for your fleets in your organization.
Common Usage of VTS
Vehicle tracking systems are commonly used by fleet operators for fleet management functions such as fleet tracking, routing, dispatching, on-board information and security. Along with commercial fleet operators, urban transit agencies use the technology for a number of purposes, including monitoring schedule adherence of vehicles in service, triggering changes of vehicles destination sign displays at the end of the line (or other set location along a bus route), and triggering pre-recorded announcements for passengers.
Active Verses Passive Tracking
Several types of vehicle tracking devices exist. Typically they are classified as “passive” and “active”. “Passive” devices store GPS location, speed, heading and sometimes a trigger event such as key on/off, door open/closed. Once the vehicle returns to a predetermined point, the device is removed and the data downloaded to a computer for evaluation. Passive systems include auto download type that transfer data via wireless download. “Active” devices also collect the same information but usually transmit the data in near-real-time via cellular or satellite networks to a computer or data center for evaluation.
Many modern vehicle tracking devices combine both active and passive tracking abilities: when a cellular network is available and a tracking device is connected it transmits data to a server; when a network is not available the device stores data in internal memory and will transmit stored data to the server later when the network becomes available again.
Historically, vehicle tracking has been accomplished by installing a box into the vehicle, either self-powered with a battery or wired into the vehicle’s power system. For detailed vehicle locating and tracking this is still the predominant method; however, many companies are increasingly interested in the emerging cell phone technologies that provide tracking of multiple entities, such as both a salesperson and their vehicle. These systems also offer tracking of calls, texts, web use and generally provide a wider range of options.
Solutions for Customer Needs
General Customer requirements
Customer can have an online tracking system for its own commercial fleets used as well as the other fleets which they are outsourcing. These are the following attributes of the VTS which can enhance the effectiveness and increase the ROI, vis a vis reduce the expenses of Customer.
- Real time Vehicle current location
- Vehicle status (Moving/Stopped/Parked)
- Time spent and actual activity report for each trip( Time specific/Origin/Destination)
- Stoppage report against every predefined location
- Detailed trip report for future analysis
- Vehicle idle time report.
- Route deviation
- En route journey log (GIS map data)
- Location reference against POI’s
- Parking lot management.( Using Parking Report)
- Various Alerts for better controlling like Stoppage, Over Speed,
AND many more………………….
Solutions for Customer Needs
Remote Asset Tracking Solutions a rugged & sophisticated solution which includes On Board GPS/GPRS device as Hardware component and back end software application as a solution component of this integrated solution. It combines accurate positioning and real-time communication with the monitoring and reporting of predetermined events. With numerous event configurations, its innovative design enables precise customization. You can uniquely determine what alerts and notifications are required for each asset or group of assets.
State-of-the-art GPS can pinpoint the location of your asset to within 10 meters. The Cellular/GSM/GPRS enabled modem cost effectively delivers instantaneous reports throughout India/World. Knowing where your assets are (and what they aren’t doing) has never been so accessible.
Solution Offerings to Customer
- Provide the physical vehicle tracking devices, installation, and maintenance of the devices and any troubleshooting required to ensure the devices work as required.
Proposed Telematics hardware is having all functionalities as desired by customer. We offer turnkey installation and a warranty through the lifetime of the initial contract with the option to extend the warranty upon contract renewal. As an optional service, we may also offer our Professional Service Group with a high level option for implementation through this group rather than our standard plan.
- Provide the software and communications (cellular or other) necessary to share fleet tracking data, information, and reports online. Perform all software troubleshooting, upgrades, and licensing.
The solution allows for an unlimited number of users of Telematics software, with extensive reporting capabilities, with no associated licensing fees. Standard upgrades, three to four times per year, to Telematics Software are performed at no cost to the customer. It also has plan to free mobile applications, available to customers for downloading on the App Store (both iPhone and iPad) and all android based phones.
- Provide real-time vehicle tracking, including time, date, ignition, speed, direction & location
The Telematics devices is generally set to automatically report location every 2-5 minutes in standard updates, in addition to ignition on/off, Geofence entry/exit and a variety of vehicle specific alerts. The system may also be used to locate a specific vehicle through our “Query” functions in real-time.
- Help users To rectify by identifying the real-time events that have occurred inside Geofence or enroute
We provide in our solution Geofence Monitoring Solution can report on geofence events from multiple Geofence across your fleet. It sends alerts triggered by predefined parameters – allowing you to identify and take steps to rectify situations as soon they occur. It automates collection of data required for proof of delivery and transit.
- Provide reporting services including idle time, speed limit violations, route replay, and Kms Travelled.
We are providing in our software has standard reports covering idle, speed, route replay, and mileage. Our system is also built to manage by exception and is fully customizable to your company’s exceptions and needs. We are currently offering over 10 standard reports as well as the “Replay a Day” feature which allows the user to play back the route traveled.
- Perform automatic time or distance update.
Our Solutions we provide hardware provides 1- 5 minute location updates and will also update vehicle location for other vehicle specific events. The Telematics device continuously stores data and then reports back into our software Telematics within the set update period.
- Provide event storage if outside of cellular coverage.
We offers a standard store and forward feature should the vehicle be outside of cellular coverage and once the vehicle returns to cellular coverage will report in to our Application software Telematics with all backlogged information.
- Store and utilize “Geo-Fences” for immediate notification of arrivals/departures.
The offered solution has the ability to store up to 100 active geofences at any one time for immediate notification via email/text message upon arrival and departure. Our Application software Telematics will also store up to 10,000 sites for each customer for passive notification of events within a specified area.
- Includes a backup battery, tamper detection, and immediate alerts.
The offered solution offers battery backup, tamper cover and immediate alerts via email/text message should the tamper cover be removed. The backup battery will charge during both ignitions on and off events. The tamper alerts will send high priority messages to your email or text, depending upon preference.
- GPS Device Mountings:
The Solution is tightly integrated with Wireless network. The Vehicle Mounted Hardware for dedicated /owned vehicles shall be well mounted inside an IP-65 rated tamper proof box, which would be installed by authorized engineers only. GSM/GPS antennas are well placed inside the unit, in the safest location. However any UN-toward incidents are occasional. The GPS device could be mounted anywhere in the Driver cabin.
Solution Features and Functionality
We enable up to a 25 geofences to be loaded to each device. Since they reside on the device, all alerting happens real-time. These geofences allow users to alert on enter or exit. Email or SMS notifications can be set up. Reports can be run across the Geofence or across all vehicles.
We allow thousands of landmarks to be loaded into the system. Reports can be setup by vehicle or by landmark.
- Maintenance module
Track and monitor all maintenance. Be alerted prior to upcoming maintenance.
- Automated scheduled emails of any report.
Setup any report to be emailed to anyone on a regular basis. This can be sent in any format (.csv, .xls, .pdf, .xml, .tiff).
Replace paper forms, school bus example for children count on routes or maintenance checks/inspections
- Reporting parameters.
Our system is flexible enough to allow a vast array of reporting parameters. This includes but is not limited to date/time, groupings, by vehicle and/or by driver.
- Alerting module
Full suite of active alerts. Including, unauthorized movement, speeding, and idling.
- Planned vs. Actual module.
Analyze the difference between a planned route and what was actually performed by a driver.
- Enhanced Vehicle Grouping
Vehicles can be grouped into any type of structure or sub structure. For example, an agency may group by territory and each territory may have sub groups of regions. Each region may have a sub group of districts. Every hierarchy can be reported on and restricted by user privileges.
Custom Reports Capability
We recognize that although we offer a broad range of reports off-the-shelf, customers may require something different to adhere to their specific needs. As such, we offer the ability to create custom reports based on the data our system captures.
Our basic process for this service is the following:
- Input session: A discussion between a customer and one of our custom report specialists to determine specific customer needs and report requirements.
- Viability check: We will investigate to ensure the requirements can be delivered on within the system’s data collection parameters.
- Functional requirements document (FRD): We will then produce a requirement document outlining the intent of the report, specific fields to be reported a “mock-up” of what the finished report would look like and a timeline for delivery.
- Customer approval: The customer must approve in writing the FRD before we will begin work.
- Delivery: We will deliver and test the report within the customer’s system and help with any
- necessary configuration changes that might be required
Powerful analytical tools
- Working with thousands of Customers and Fleets we have developed an extensive array of reports used by the industry
- Reports are fully configurable – set custom alert levels, set exception notices, reports can be separate for various levels within company, set report schedules.
- Send direct to recipients via email reports, exceptions via sms alerts and scheduled reports on periodic times and dates
- Telematics Application offers multiple standard reports. Reports are broken down into three main buckets: by driver, by vehicle, by asset.
Any further details, please get in touch with us at email@example.com
Tags: vehicle tracking, vts
Categorised in: Solution & Services
This post was written by Prime Research Team